Local Area Fishing
Fishing opportunities are aplenty in the area, and whilst we can give you some information on possible options, based on our exceptionally poor performance at actually catching any fish in the past, we certainly won’t be capable of passing on any advice. Tools and Tackle in nearby Ballachulish can help with all your fishing needs.
- Loch Fishing – Loch Arkaig and Loch Lochy are large lochs that offer great fishing. Some very large trout and charr have been allegedly caught there. The larger trout are known as ferrox and their diet is mainly other fish, consequently they grow large and 20lb trout are not unknown. Due to escapees from local fish farms, Loch Lochy now also contains rainbow trout. Other lochs in the area worth mentioning in the area include Loch Lundavra, Loch Treig, Loch Poulary and Loch Inchlaggan.
- River Fishing – The River Lochy is the most famous salmon river in the area and its wide, stream pools are excellent for fly fishing. Its tributaries the Spean and Roy flow through some dramatic gorges that make fishing interesting to say the least! The source of the River Nevis is on Ben Nevis and from this a small spate stream produces sea trout and salmon during the later months of the season.
- Fisheries – There are a number of stocked rainbow trout fisheries dotted around Lochaber including Torlundy Loch, Lochuanagan, Achnabobane and within walking distance the Glencoe Lochan.
- Coarse Fishing – There are several lochs which contain pike, such as Lock Lochy, loch Arkaig and Loch Treig.
- Sea Angling – The shores around the sea lochs of Lochaber can provide good catches of a variety of species including pollack, cod, mackerel, saithe and large common skate, thornbacks and even conger eels. Much of the fishing can be enjoyed from the shoreline and heavy tackle is not necessary. Ledgering bait is the favoured technique using mussel, mackerel strip and peeler crab as bait. Some of best locations are Corpach pier, the West End Car Park in Fort Willam and Corran Ferry pier. Excellent sea fishing can also be found at Loch Sunart, both from the shore and boat, and a number of sea angling charter boats do operate in the area.